Hanakao’o Beach Park – A Very Popular Sandy Beach in West Maui, Hawaii

Hanakao'o Beach Park - West Maui, HawaiiHanakao’o Beach Park is a stretch of sandy beach just south of the Ka’anapali Beach Resort Complex on Maui’s west shores. Hanakao’o means the “digging stick bay,” but the origin of the name is now unknown. It is also a launching point for Hawaiians and their canoes, hence its nickname, Canoe Beach.

The beach was used to be called by locals as Sand Box Beach in reference to a rock crusher that used to be in the area in the early 1900s. The rock crusher had several large storage bins to hold the crushed material as well as a box for sand. The sand box was kept filled with beach sand, which was bagged as needed for various construction projects. The rock crusher ceased operations in the 1920s but the sand box remained on the beach for many years, giving the beach its once-popular name. Read more

Kewalo Basin – A Commercial Harbor and Waterfront Park in Honolulu, Hawaii

Kewalo Basin - Honolulu, HawaiiKewalo Basin is a commercial mixed-use boat harbor located at Honolulu’s South Side Waterfront in Oahu, Hawaii. It provides berthing for some of Honolulu’s commercial fishing fleet, private yachts and charter vessels that serve the Hawaii tourist market.

On the ocean side of the harbor is a small beach park, adjacent to the larger Ala Moana Beach Park. This park features a pedestrian promenade and trellised picnic areas, making it a popular venue for sightseeing, picnics and swimming. Other facilities include restrooms, outdoor showers, drinking water, payphone. Read more

Waimea Valley Adventure Park – A Historical Nature Theme Park in Oahu, Hawaii

Waimea Valley Adventure Park - Waimea FallsWaimea Valley Adventure Park is a 1,800-acre historical nature park located in the heart of verdant Waimea Valley on the North Shore of Oahu in Hawaii. The park includes 36 botanical gardens featuring native Hawaiian plants as well as rare collections from around the world.  Major collections include the hibiscus evolutionary garden, araceae, bauhinia, bromeliaceae, heliconia, liliaceae, as well as bamboo, begonia, ferns, tropical fruit, etc.

One of the main attractions in the park is the 45-foot high Waimea Falls, which is the setting of a special presentation. Here, divers re-enact Hawaiian warrior games of skill and courage by climbing the slippery waterfall and diving from various ledges into the rocky pool below. Between performances, visitors can take a refreshing dip into the pool or stand under the waterfall. Read more

Maui Surfboard Fence – A quirky landmark in Maui, Hawaii

Maui Surfboard Fence - Haiku, HawaiiMaui Surfboard Fence is a colorful landmark located along Kaupakalua Road, just outside Paia on the way to Ho’okipa Beach, in Haiku, Maui, Hawaii. It is actually a collection of over 600 discarded surfboards displayed around a private property.

The fence was the creation of Donald Dettloff who wired his old surfboards onto his fence in anticipation of a hurricane in 1990 to keep them from getting blown away. He kept adding to his collection until the fence became some sort of a local landmark. Some of the boards were taken by Dettloff from nearby junk shops while others where donated by surfers who would rather see their well-used boards as part of the now iconic fence rather than throw them in the dump. Read more

Waioli Huiia Church – The Oldest Surviving Church Building in Kauai, Hawaii

Waioli Huiia Church - Kauai, HawaiiThe Waioli Huiia Church is a beautiful mission church only a few yards inland of Kuhio Highway in Kauai, Hawaii. It was established by American Christian Missionaries in 1834. It was originally a simple pole and thatch structure which was later replaced by a timber frame and plaster building in 1841. The lime for the plaster was made from coral which was dug at low tide.

In 1912, the current church building wаs built wіth donations frоm Sam, George, аnd Albert Wilcox (sons оf the missionary couple whо were born аt the station) while the 1841 structure wаs converted into a Mission Hall. Apart from the church and mission hall, a school for Hawaiian boys was also built in the premises. Read more